Many smart home users love that they use voice-control so many smart home devices through their Alexa, but with one glaring exception: garage doors. Alexa Smart Home Skills currently do not recognize garage doors. SimpleCommands has a solution to enable our users to control their garage doors with their voice.
Please follow the instructions below to enable voice control of your garage doors through Alexa with SimpleCommands:
1. Go to the Routines tab in the SimpleCommands app/web browser.
2. Create a new Routine named "Close Garage" or anything you would like, as long as you know that it will open your garage door when you run it!
3. Press "+ Item" and select the garage door you want to control, followed by the "Close" command.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the "Open" command for the same garage door.
5. After enabling our Alexa Smart Home Skill (kloee for SC), run discovery in the Alexa app or ask Alexa to "discover devices". Once this process is done these Routines will appear under the Scenes menu in the Alexa app.
Now you are able to control your garage doors with your voice! To run a scene with your voice say, "Alexa, turn on [scene name]", or "Alexa, start [scene name]".
If you want to be able to execute the Routine by saying, "Alexa, open my garage door" or "Alexa, open garage" please see this article on how to customize prompt-words for Alexa scenes!