This article describes how to connect and run Discovery with our Alexa Smart Home Skill, kloee for SC (kloee is the cloud-based platform that powers SimpleCommands), with SimpleCommands. If you have questions on how to use this skill after it's enabled, please see our guide here.
How do I enable the Amazon Alexa Home Skill?
To enable the SimpleCommands Alexa Home Skill:
Search for “kloee for SC” in the Alexa app or via the Alexa website.
- Search for “kloee for SC” in the Alexa app or via the Alexa website.
- Click the Enable Skill button.
- Go to the “Manage Companions” menu in the SimpleCommands app and select which Items you would like to be discovered.
- Click the Discover Devices button to import all of your Items from SimpleCommands.
You now are able to run commands on your Favorites, and Groups via Alexa!
kloee is the cloud-based platform that powers SimpleCommands, which is why we have kloee in the name of our skill.
What can I do with Amazon Alexa on SimpleCommands?
You can control your Items, Favorites, Groups, and Triggers via Alexa, which you can select in the Companions menu. To add an Item to your Alexa Home Skill, do any of the following:
- Add Items to your Favorites, then "Discover Devices" in Alexa.
- Create a Group, then "Discover Devices" in Alexa.
- Create a Trigger, then "Discover Devices" in Alexa.
- Select Items in the Companions' menu, then "Discover Devices" in Alexa.
What Types of Devices will be work by Alexa?
Currently, the following types of devices can be discovered, and work, with Alexa.
As Alexa adds support for more devices types we will work to add support for these as well.
Keeping in Sync
Whenever you adjust your settings for the skill be sure to re-run Discovery on your Alexa Device. Simply say “Alexa, discover devices,” visit the Smart Home section of the Amazon Alexa app, or via Alexa website on your browser.
Alexa will not automatically forget your devices, and Groups that you remove from SimpleCommands. They will appear as “offline” until you remove them manually in the Alexa App or from the Alexa website.
What are SimpleNames?
A SimpleName is effectively an optional alias for an Item. We created SimpleNames with Alexa in mind. Oftentimes your Items will have long names that are difficult to remember or say or difficult for Alexa to understand. SimpleNames are a way to enter a more “simple” name to your device without losing its original name. Follow these steps to create/edit an Item's SimpleName. The next time you Discover your Devices in Alexa, this SimpleName will be used instead of the longer name.